Our foundation has secured access to Turnitin Plagiarism Software for faculty members. This access is an implementation of the decision DE 32 / 26-7-2019 issue 1.11 and was assigned to the Association of Greek Academic Libraries (SEAB), based on the decision of the Conference of Rectors (82nd Rector’s Office / 15.10.2016 and 83rd Rector’s Office / 6 / 2/17), for the supply of plagiarism software for the Higher Schools.
Turnitin is a software trusted by more than 15,000 institutions in more than 140 countries, over 1.6 million teachers and 26 million students worldwide. Student work can be compared to the contents of Turnitin’s vast database.
Turnitin, generates reports, detects possible plagiarism. The comparison is made on internet content, with the security and effectiveness of the various search engines.
Turnitin reviews on its servers not only the current content but also changed or even deleted web pages. More specifically in:
- open accessible internet content,
- the works of the students who have been submitted to the system,
- publishers content that is not freely accessible.
- open access digital repositories.
Student’s content compares to Turnitin’s huge database, which includes:
- 62+ institutions websites,
- 734+ million student jobs of all levels,
- 160+ million articles from academic books and publications in collaboration with the world’s largest publishers (CrossCheck, Gale, Emerald Journals, SAGE Reference, Pearson, McGraw-Hill, ABC CLIO, Ebsco Host and Wiley etc.).
- Turnitin’s originality testing, in addition to this feature, also includes the functions of detecting logic in translated text.
The purpose of the Library is to make Turnitin available, as a tool to the academic community of ASPAITE, to prevent the misuse of resources and to approach the scientific way of writing works. Adherence to the rules for citations is good practice for a scientific environment. This tool will be provided as a service of the Library, which undertakes:
- training and support of their users,
- the continuous updating of unregistered registrations by the institution,
- the final deletion of unregistered entries from the database, system upgrades.
All ASPETE teachers (faculty members, EDIP, etc.) who exercise institutional teaching functions and can obtain a password upon request to the Library by e-mail have the right to use Turnitin. The seconded – hourly paid teachers should attach a certificate from their Secretariat, which will specify the time period of their cooperation with ASPETE.
For any information contact the Library e-mail: email@example.com
4. Forms of plagiarism – Spectrum plagiarism
Spectrum plagiarism is a guide that helps teachers and students identify the different forms of plagiarism.
The present text has not exhausted the forms of graphological speech, but the most common written forms of graphology are:
the recognition and presentation of all or part of the work of a third party,
the indication of the text from the work of the third party that does not follow the reference rules, without reference,
reference to a source that constitutes the majority of the work.
falsification of source data,
double submission of all or part of his own work to a new as a new publication without reference to the previous one.
use of images, videos and audio with copyright protection, without a license.
5. Next actions
At this stage of the service, access and use of the system by students is not supported. The instructor, if he / she wishes, can send to the student the result of the evaluation of the work / doctoral work after entering the software.
Sutherland-Smith, 2008, “Plagiarism: Internet and Student Writing: Improving Academic Integrity,” Journal of Higher Education in Politics and Administration, Vol. 32, No. 1, February 2010, 5-16.